Exciting, cutting-edge contemporary industrial design, look no further than the event at M Art Space Manolioudakis - 2011% Greek Design, where eighteen Greek designers and studios join their forces and exhibit unique designs. 2011% Greek Design is a contemporary design show, a hub of creative and award winning international talents from Greece.
But what is design?
Design informally refers to a plan for the construction of an object, and beyond all the definitions and the theoretical discussions, or the trivial ideas and concepts, design is nothing less than something that simply makes the objects, images, the world, or your own life better!
And how can design be measured? Is there good or bad design? As good design cannot be measured in a finite way one of Yatzer’s favorites Dieter Rams set about expressing the ten most important principles for what he considered was good design; sometimes they are referred as the ‘Ten commandments of design’.
Image Courtesy of Constantinos Economides & Brian Ward // WE DID-ID
1. Is innovative
2. Makes a product useful
3. Is aesthetic - Only well-executed objects can be beautiful. The aesthetic quality of a product is integral to its usefulness because products used every day have an effect on people and their well-being.
4. Makes a product understandable - It clarifies the product’s structure.
5. Is unobtrusive - Products and their design should be both neutral and restrained
6. Is honest - Honest design should not attempt to make a product seem more innovative, powerful or valuable than it really is.
7. Is long-lasting - It should avoid being fashionable and therefore never appears antiquated.
8. Is thorough down to the last detail
9. Is environmentally friendly - Good design should make an important contribution to the preservation of the environment by conserving resources and minimizing physical and visual pollution throughout the lifecycle of the product.
10. Is as little design as possible
Design is difficult to describe in words; and you don’t know when it’s good unless you have touched it, used it and seen it aesthetically appealing to your eyes! 2011% Greek Design exhibition seeks to portray diversity, development and the evolution, the ingenuousness, modernity, inspiration, and the importance of Greek Design here and now sometimes in a humorous way! Eighteen designers and studios many of whom have been presented previously on Yatzer, operating in Greece and abroad, create a kaleidoscopic display, not on the basis of "nationality" but guided by their ideas, concepts, talent, whether their work makes our lives "work" better, or be better!
A must see if you are in Athens during the exhibition dates // Thursday, April 7 – April 25, 2011
Image Courtesy of Yiannis Ghikas
CTRLZAK / Niki Stylianou / Sergios Fotiadis / Spyros Drakos / Yiannis Ghikas / Kleo Xirou / BRAINSTORM (Nikos Goulis – Elias Aravidis) / Dionysis Skalos / Apostolos Porsanidis / Zaxos Stathopoulos / Giannis Mamoutzis / George Vavatsis / Afrodite Krassa / GREECE IS FOR LOVERS / Christina Skouloudi / EVTHOKIA / WE DID-ID - Constantinos Economides / Sakis Stritsidis
2011% Greek Design
M Art Space
Thursday, April 7 – April 25, 2011
10 Solonos Str. & Irakleitou Str.,
Kolonaki, 106.73 (2nd Floor)