Photographer: Robaard/Theuwkens (Styling by Marjo Kranenborg, CMK)
Guest Contribution by Katerina Biliouri
If you are a Yatzer-reader you have definitely read our previous articles on Droog. Recently we wrote about their venue during the Salone del Mobile 2010, where we witnessed the 5,135 items that were purchased and “saved by droog" from liquidation sales and other leftovers.
For those, however, who are not familiar with the name and work of Droog let's briefly say that Droog started in 1993 as a statement on design, a no-nonsense, down to earth design mentality. Their unique way of thinking has defined them as a conceptual design company over the last 16 years and has played a role in defining Dutch design internationally. In Droog innovative and revolutionary designers with environmental sensitivities are experimenting with new ideas, materials and techniques. Co-founded and directed by art historian and critic, Renny Ramakers, Droog has worked with renowned designers all over the world. Amsterdam is home to their flagship store and office, but they also have a store in New York and in Tokyo, as well distribution throughout the world.
This time the design eager Yatzereye looks at the exhibition greek green greet that Droog is preparing in Athens, Greece. The exhibition is organised by Droog Athens - workshop-Dionisis Sotovikis and Mariolopoulos-Kanaginis Foundation for the Environmental Sciences in collaboration with Benaki Museum. It is opening its doors to the public on June 3rd, after 20.00 and will be the largest Droog exhibition in the world since 2007.
A one day conference 'design, architecture & sustainability' has also been planned on the occasion of the World Environment Day, Saturday June 5th . The conference will be conducted in English and will be held in the auditorium of the Benaki Museum (138 Pireos Street | Athens, Greece) with the participation of international academics and scientists both from the fields of architecture and environmental design. Specifically, the presentations are comprised of two modules "Sustainability in Architecture and the Built Environment" and "Environmental Design in Architecture". The conference begins at 10:30 a.m. and ends with a closing speech and presentation of the exhibition "greek green greet" by Renny Ramakers, co-founder of Droog.
“Design, Architecture & Sustainability”
June 5th, Benaki Museum, Pireos 138
10.30 – 12.15: Session I // “Sustainability in Architecture and the Built Environment”
- A. Kotsiopoulos, Professor, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki // “Sustainability and aesthetics in architecture”
- J. Smales, Executive Chairman, Beyond Green Group // “How shall we live? Sustainable places and sustainable lives”
- T. Stonor, Managing Director, Space Syntax London // “Urban sustainability – the social, economic and environmental influence of spatial layout”
- N. Fintikakis, Director of UIA - “ARES” WP // “Synergies of Architecture and Renewable Sources towards Climate Change”
12.45 – 14.00: Session II // “Environmental Design in Architecture”
- M. Santamouris, Professor, University of Athens // “Energy and Environmental Quality of the Built Environment in Greece”
- S. Zerefos, Assistant Professor, Hellenic Open University // “Design ethics in the age of sustainability”
- A. Abou-Zaki, Director, PhaConsult // “Environmental & Sustainable Approach to Building design and Sustainable Masterplanning”
15.00 – 16.30: Session III // “greek green greet by droog”
- R. Ramakers, co-founder of Droog // Lecture and presentation of the “greek green greet by droog” exhibition
greek green greet by droog
Benaki Museum | 138 Pireos Street | Athens, Greece
Opening: Thursday, June 3rd 2010 | 20:00
Duration: June 4th - July 25th 2010
Hours: Wednesday | Thursday | Sunday 10:00 to 18:00
Friday | Saturday 10:00 -22.00
Information: +30 210.610.0.610 | +30 210 36.23.861
curated by : DIONISIS + KIRKI // consultant: D.art
under the auspices of the Hellenic Institute of Architecture